Runners of the Week Selection
10/03/2012 10:48:40 PM
User
Do anyone know how the Runners of the Week are selected? This is the 1st time I've noticed two individuals compete in the same invitational and the runner of the week be granted to the 2nd place winner rather than the top runner. Very rarely do the runner up win the top honor over 1st place finisher. I've contacted John Olson but haven't received a response as of yet? Anyone knows the particulars of how the selection is chosen? I can't find another instance where this has taken place.
Do anyone know how the Runners of the Week are selected? This is the 1st time I've noticed two individuals compete in the same invitational and the runner of the week be granted to the 2nd place winner rather than the top runner. Very rarely do the runner up win the top honor over 1st place finisher. I've contacted John Olson but haven't received a response as of yet? Anyone knows the particulars of how the selection is chosen? I can't find another instance where this has taken place.
10/04/2012 11:02:02 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Just a couple of thoughts to try and explain. First John Olson does not make these selections; there is a group of coaches from around the state none of whom know who the others are. Second for SCHSL purposes the state is divided into Upper and Lower referring to East and West. Mid State was added to ROW to expand numbers of athletes who could be chosen each week. Third the selections are based on where the athlete's school is not where the meet was. I hope this somewhat clarifies some of your questions.
Just a couple of thoughts to try and explain. First John Olson does not make these selections; there is a group of coaches from around the state none of whom know who the others are. Second for SCHSL purposes the state is divided into Upper and Lower referring to East and West. Mid State was added to ROW to expand numbers of athletes who could be chosen each week. Third the selections are based on where the athlete's school is not where the meet was.

I hope this somewhat clarifies some of your questions.
10/04/2012 11:30:38 AM
User
Thanks coach for the chime in. Both runners ran at same race and they are both mid state level runners which makes it all the more confusing. Anyone else know where this has happened before where the 1st place finisher is over looked and given to the runner up from the same level of competition. Most cases there is a difference in courses but this race was same day, same race, same course under same weather conditions. It's ironic. Do anyone know of any other time this has happened?
Thanks coach for the chime in. Both runners ran at same race and they are both mid state level runners which makes it all the more confusing. Anyone else know where this has happened before where the 1st place finisher is over looked and given to the runner up from the same level of competition. Most cases there is a difference in courses but this race was same day, same race, same course under same weather conditions. It's ironic. Do anyone know of any other time this has happened?
10/04/2012 12:03:28 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
Looking at the results page, after reading your post, I went to look at where Lancaster was located (Region wise). I assume that was the runner you were referring to. Lancaster is in Region III, which is considered the Upper State for the ROTW (based on my question to John Olson-who by the way does not do the ROTW, he just posts them). The Lancaster runner did win, but is in the same area as the Upper State ROTW- Laura Miller. I hope I did not assume wrong, and understand where your question came from as well.
Looking at the results page, after reading your post, I went to look at where Lancaster was located (Region wise). I assume that was the runner you were referring to. Lancaster is in Region III, which is considered the Upper State for the ROTW (based on my question to John Olson-who by the way does not do the ROTW, he just posts them). The Lancaster runner did win, but is in the same area as the Upper State ROTW- Laura Miller. I hope I did not assume wrong, and understand where your question came from as well.
10/04/2012 1:08:13 PM
User
I do thank you for the most recent post and it do bring some clarity. I think there is where the problem lies. On Oct 27th Lancaster and a few other teams from their region will compete in Mid State and have competed in mid state at least the last 2 years. That brings the question why would Lancaster runners be judged in a different state qualifier other than the one they compete in. These 2 runners are both from mid state and that is where the question and concern comes from. John was asked to bring clarity simply because site questions are requested to be directed to him. We haven't heard back from him as of yet.
I do thank you for the most recent post and it do bring some clarity. I think there is where the problem lies. On Oct 27th Lancaster and a few other teams from their region will compete in Mid State and have competed in mid state at least the last 2 years. That brings the question why would Lancaster runners be judged in a different state qualifier other than the one they compete in. These 2 runners are both from mid state and that is where the question and concern comes from. John was asked to bring clarity simply because site questions are requested to be directed to him. We haven't heard back from him as of yet.
10/04/2012 1:43:12 PM
Power User
SUBSCRIBER
That is a good point. 3 schools from Region 3 do move into the Mid-State for their Qualifier and this needs to be sent to the coaches that do the polls to consider. Most probably look at the Regions when submitting their picks. I will be sure to get this to John to send out to the coaches that submit picks. Very good arguments and you did it in a way where other coaches were willing to answer. Good luck in your upcoming races and the remainder of your season! Coach C.
That is a good point. 3 schools from Region 3 do move into the Mid-State for their Qualifier and this needs to be sent to the coaches that do the polls to consider. Most probably look at the Regions when submitting their picks. I will be sure to get this to John to send out to the coaches that submit picks. Very good arguments and you did it in a way where other coaches were willing to answer. Good luck in your upcoming races and the remainder of your season! Coach C.
10/04/2012 2:16:52 PM
Coach
Does the runner's coach have to submit his runner's performance for consideration in order to be eligible for the award or does the selection committee simply look at that weekend's results? Thanks.
Does the runner's coach have to submit his runner's performance for consideration in order to be eligible for the award or does the selection committee simply look at that weekend's results? Thanks.
10/04/2012 3:57:07 PM
User
Thanks coach for taking the time and patience to address this matter. I believe communication is the key. Hopefully it will be looked into because we all have one common goal and thats the best interest of all athletes. I do not believe the coaches enter any data for consideration based on my information gathered in reference to this matter.
Thanks coach for taking the time and patience to address this matter. I believe communication is the key. Hopefully it will be looked into because we all have one common goal and thats the best interest of all athletes. I do not believe the coaches enter any data for consideration based on my information gathered in reference to this matter.
10/05/2012 3:07:08 PM
Coach
Thank you to all for looking into this. I really like the addition of the ROTW. I think it is great for the sport and for the athletes. In response to the question if coaches need to submit times for consideration - my understanding is it is all based on times posted on scrunners. Also, if indeed this was an oversight on the part of those choosing the ROTW thinking that Lancaster was not in mid-state, would there be a way to recognize JeNae Jones for her accomplishment or is it too late for that? Thanks to everyone who makes this sport as great as it is and a big thanks to scrunners!
Thank you to all for looking into this. I really like the addition of the ROTW. I think it is great for the sport and for the athletes. In response to the question if coaches need to submit times for consideration - my understanding is it is all based on times posted on scrunners. Also, if indeed this was an oversight on the part of those choosing the ROTW thinking that Lancaster was not in mid-state, would there be a way to recognize JeNae Jones for her accomplishment or is it too late for that?

Thanks to everyone who makes this sport as great as it is and a big thanks to scrunners!
10/05/2012 3:50:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@LHSBruins Check out the Fish Hatchery Invitational discussion thread---I corrected her last name as soon as I discovered my mistake.
@LHSBruins Check out the Fish Hatchery Invitational discussion thread---I corrected her last name as soon as I discovered my mistake.
10/05/2012 5:31:23 PM
User
Hey coach, maybe next year we can put our names on our backs of our jerseys...then you can ask your runners...whose out front. Just joking. No worries.
Hey coach, maybe next year we can put our names on our backs of our jerseys...then you can ask your runners...whose out front. Just joking. No worries.
10/09/2012 12:09:46 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
The female midlands runner of the week came in first place at a meet in Columbia that same week, in addition to the performance at Fish Hatchery.
The female midlands runner of the week came in first place at a meet in Columbia that same week, in addition to the performance at Fish Hatchery.
10/11/2012 3:19:38 PM
User
Going to have to completely disagree with all guy choices in runners of the week. Not one of them were at the Lex Invite. Understandable if you are waiting till next week, but top 5 of that race deserve some credit. NO ONE can disagree with that.
Going to have to completely disagree with all guy choices in runners of the week. Not one of them were at the Lex Invite. Understandable if you are waiting till next week, but top 5 of that race deserve some credit. NO ONE can disagree with that.
10/11/2012 6:25:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
I guess they are just trying to spread the award around. Based on Lexington, Tony should be midlands runner of the week and Brent should be lowcountry runner of the week. Both have already been given the award though so I don't know if that changes things. It should not, but you never know...
I guess they are just trying to spread the award around. Based on Lexington, Tony should be midlands runner of the week and Brent should be lowcountry runner of the week. Both have already been given the award though so I don't know if that changes things. It should not, but you never know...
10/11/2012 6:34:46 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
selections are based on performances from Monday through Sunday of the preceeding week.
selections are based on performances from Monday through Sunday of the preceeding week.
10/12/2012 11:09:50 AM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
Interesting: Maybe changing the title from "Runner of the Week" to "Featured runner of the Week" would do away with the confusion of having runners who have clearly accomplished less during the week in question being named runner of the week. "Runner of the Week" has the connotation that the selected runner was the "best" of "all" others considered. This will definitely become a heated topic during the outdoor track season when there are many more athletes and events to consider, so adding one additional word would alleviate to explain the selection.
Interesting: Maybe changing the title from "Runner of the Week" to "Featured runner of the Week" would do away with the confusion of having runners who have clearly accomplished less during the week in question being named runner of the week. "Runner of the Week" has the connotation that the selected runner was the "best" of "all" others considered. This will definitely become a heated topic during the outdoor track season when there are many more athletes and events to consider, so adding one additional word would alleviate to explain the selection.
09/30/2013 8:04:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
Test
Test

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.