First year Track and Field
12/05/2018 1:49:32 PM
User
This is our first year with high school athletics as a Charter and have a few questions as it pertains to Track. Keep in mind we don't have much/any equipment, not much of a track and low budget. 1. Do we need a certain number of events to qualify for scheduling purposes? 2. Any recommendations on specific events for starters? There is buzz going around the campus which is great and most logistical paperwork is complete, I just need input on first year implementation. Thanks in advance, Coach
This is our first year with high school athletics as a Charter and have a few questions as it pertains to Track. Keep in mind we don't have much/any equipment, not much of a track and low budget.

1. Do we need a certain number of events to qualify for scheduling purposes?
2. Any recommendations on specific events for starters?

There is buzz going around the campus which is great and most logistical paperwork is complete, I just need input on first year implementation.

Thanks in advance,

Coach
12/07/2018 11:36:12 AM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@markwill34 To answer your questions...no to 1. You don't have to field a track team with an athlete in every event to get started. Especially if equipment is an issue right now. You might decide to just focus on running events this first year and gradually introduce field events as equipment becomes available. However, if you are planning to host a meet, you would need to run off all events unless you were competing against another school in a similar situation. Regarding 2, I would start with events that you have coaching staff for and knowledge in. At least for right now. For instance, if you only have coaching staff with expertise in sprints and distance, I would go with those events to start with. This doesn't mean you couldn't have a kid throw or jump. Good luck!
@markwill34

To answer your questions...no to 1. You don't have to field a track team with an athlete in every event to get started. Especially if equipment is an issue right now. You might decide to just focus on running events this first year and gradually introduce field events as equipment becomes available. However, if you are planning to host a meet, you would need to run off all events unless you were competing against another school in a similar situation. Regarding 2, I would start with events that you have coaching staff for and knowledge in. At least for right now. For instance, if you only have coaching staff with expertise in sprints and distance, I would go with those events to start with. This doesn't mean you couldn't have a kid throw or jump. Good luck!

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.