Number of qualifiers for SCHSL state meet in 1600 & 3200 races
02/16/2019 4:55:07 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
I believe twelve individuals should qualify for the final in the 1600 and 3200 meter races rather than existing eight at the state meet. These races do not have to be run in lanes. Therefore, there is plenty of room on the track for 12 runners in these two finals.
I believe twelve individuals should qualify for the final in the 1600 and 3200 meter races rather than existing eight at the state meet. These races do not have to be run in lanes. Therefore, there is plenty of room on the track for 12 runners in these two finals.
02/17/2019 10:56:10 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@edjbosch As much as I agree with you on that, how do you justify taking more athletes in one event over another? Just wouldn't work out if you took 12 distance runners, but only 8 sprinters/relays. I think at some point we really need to look at having 16 per event at the state championships and having a semifinal/finals round.
@edjbosch As much as I agree with you on that, how do you justify taking more athletes in one event over another? Just wouldn't work out if you took 12 distance runners, but only 8 sprinters/relays.

I think at some point we really need to look at having 16 per event at the state championships and having a semifinal/finals round.
02/21/2019 1:16:39 PM
User
SUBSCRIBER
@hallmanac13 - I believe the 12 to the final is followed by the NCAA, as well as other international meets. Yes, it could favor the schools with good distance runners, like Oregon in the NCAA D1, but for example it seems schools like Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, and Georgia with their stable of sprinters, jumpers, hurdlers, and throwers that end up winning the titles & not Oregon. On qualifying 16 & having a two day meet with semi-finalists, it would work here if you combined current divisions into two. For example combine 4A & 5A into one and the other being a combination of A, AA, and 3A. Pennsylvania has had a 2 day meet since the 1970's if not even further back than that. Basically semi-finals in running events on Friday & some Saturday am early, then all finals for the rest of Saturday. Meet starts early in the day and is completed by 4 or so on Saturday.
@hallmanac13 - I believe the 12 to the final is followed by the NCAA, as well as other international meets. Yes, it could favor the schools with good distance runners, like Oregon in the NCAA D1, but for example it seems schools like Florida, Texas A&M, LSU, and Georgia with their stable of sprinters, jumpers, hurdlers, and throwers that end up winning the titles & not Oregon.

On qualifying 16 & having a two day meet with semi-finalists, it would work here if you combined current divisions into two. For example combine 4A & 5A into one and the other being a combination of A, AA, and 3A. Pennsylvania has had a 2 day meet since the 1970's if not even further back than that. Basically semi-finals in running events on Friday & some Saturday am early, then all finals for the rest of Saturday. Meet starts early in the day and is completed by 4 or so on Saturday.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.