Phase 1 guidelines
05/29/2020 9:40:14 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
By now I’m sure everyone has seen the guidelines put out by the SCHSL for returning to practice. Just curious about how everyone is handling the guidelines for their summer conditioning programs. My main concern is how the HSL and districts are defining the term facility for XC teams. From the guidelines: Facility: Single Field, Single Gym, Weight Room, Single Classroom. Example: 2 gyms = 2 facilities So if your school has 4 athletic field, you could have 36 football players and 4 coaches practicing at the same time. But how does that translate to XC? Where we run, we could have 36 kids running with 4 coaches and the runners would hardly see each other. However, I’m afraid they are going to define a facility for XC as the campus at large. That would limit us to 9 runners at a time. Has anyone else had this question come up? How have y’all dealt with it? Just curious. We want to make sure we follow the guidelines, but I don’t think they are written for XC. [url=http://schsl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/C19-Guidelines-for-Return-of-High-School-Sponsored-Team-Sports-chart.pdf]http://schsl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/C19-Guidelines-for-Return-of-High-School-Sponsored-Team-Sports-chart.pdf[/url]
By now I'm sure everyone has seen the guidelines put out by the SCHSL for returning to practice. Just curious about how everyone is handling the guidelines for their summer conditioning programs. My main concern is how the HSL and districts are defining the term facility for XC teams.

From the guidelines:
Facility: Single Field, Single Gym, Weight Room, Single Classroom. Example: 2 gyms = 2 facilities

So if your school has 4 athletic field, you could have 36 football players and 4 coaches practicing at the same time. But how does that translate to XC? Where we run, we could have 36 kids running with 4 coaches and the runners would hardly see each other. However, I'm afraid they are going to define a facility for XC as the campus at large. That would limit us to 9 runners at a time. Has anyone else had this question come up? How have y'all dealt with it? Just curious. We want to make sure we follow the guidelines, but I don't think they are written for XC.

http://schsl.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/C19-Guidelines-for-Return-of-High-School-Sponsored-Team-Sports-chart.pdf
06/02/2020 2:26:07 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@lifeguard21 We have about 60 acres of the town recreation facility and adjoining land where we train and host XC meets---none of it is school district property.
@lifeguard21 We have about 60 acres of the town recreation facility and adjoining land where we train and host XC meets---none of it is school district property.
06/02/2020 3:44:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@monnierb The district and SCHSL guidelines would still be in effect, regardless of where you practiced.
@monnierb The district and SCHSL guidelines would still be in effect, regardless of where you practiced.
06/02/2020 3:48:13 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@lifeguard21 Four separate fields on the 60 acres plus a 5K course....
@lifeguard21
Four separate fields on the 60 acres plus a 5K course....
06/02/2020 4:28:36 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@monnierb Great. which leads me back to my original question. If you have 4 fields and a XC course, how many different facilities is that per the SCHSL guidelines? 5? more than 5? Per the definition, each "athletic field" is a separate facility, so does that mean the XC course counts as only 1 facility? I think we figured it out, but again, the guidelines are not necessarily written with XC in mind.
@monnierb Great. which leads me back to my original question. If you have 4 fields and a XC course, how many different facilities is that per the SCHSL guidelines? 5? more than 5? Per the definition, each "athletic field" is a separate facility, so does that mean the XC course counts as only 1 facility?

I think we figured it out, but again, the guidelines are not necessarily written with XC in mind.
06/02/2020 6:39:39 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@lifeguard21 You are correct sir---XC was not a major consideration in the drafting of the SCHSL guidelines.
@lifeguard21 You are correct sir---XC was not a major consideration in the drafting of the SCHSL guidelines.
07/01/2020 7:08:21 PM
Coach
SUBSCRIBER
@lifeguard21 Do not know if this helps, but in Georgia the GHSA states that anything on the schools campus is considered a part of one location. In other words we can have several groups of kids ( 50 is our limit) that can practice at one time. If you have two groups, they must not interchange ( including the coaching staff) and can only practice for one hour. You can practice both groups on the same day on the same course, but they must be a different times. However you can practice at two different campuses (i.e. the high school and middle school) at the same time.
@lifeguard21
Do not know if this helps, but in Georgia the GHSA states that anything on the schools campus is considered a part of one location. In other words we can have several groups of kids ( 50 is our limit) that can practice at one time. If you have two groups, they must not interchange ( including the coaching staff) and can only practice for one hour. You can practice both groups on the same day on the same course, but they must be a different times. However you can practice at two different campuses (i.e. the high school and middle school) at the same time.

You must be logged in to comment.

Click Here to Log In.